Monday, January 28, 2013

Avebury, Abby, and Bath

This past weekend we went on the first group trip. We first went to Averbury, which has an older stone henge, than stonehenge. Apparently these rocks were meant to help in some sort of fertility ritual. Our Director Bill said that he didn't want to see the females running around rubbing up on the rocks, even though we were allowed to touch the rocks, unlike at stonehenge. So naturally that's what I did, so apparently I'm very fertile now. There was a lot of snow on the ground still so Sarah and I started throwing snowballs at each other. 


Touching the rocks

Hiding behind a rock

Sarah throwing a snow ball at me

Rocks!

Rocks and I!
Sarah,  Megan, Christina, and Sara walking in the snow

The next place was the final resting place of King Arthur and Wife Gwen. I was rather excited to see this after just watching the series Merlin. It was rather cool to see this place, because there is a lot of mythology that goes with it, also very religious. Apparently there is a tree that Jesus actually blessed that is there. It is really beautiful, and it is really a shame that King Henry the VIII had it torn down. What is left of it is really gorgeous.







King Arthur's Tomb

King Arthur's Tomb



Famous Jesus Tree

Ewart and I goofing off after seeing the Abby

Inside the abby gorgeous staircase reminded me of labyrinth
Then went to Bath, we got dinner, I got fish and chips again, I think I might be addicted, which is weird because I didn't use to like fish, but maybe its the tarter sauce. We stayed at the YMCA, it was my frist "hostel", it wasn't that bad, the bathroom was down the hall and I slept in a hall way, but I've stayed in worse places. It was a good experience. In Bath in the morning we took a tour of the Roman Baths. It's amazing how smart they were to make a warm bathing place off of a hot spring. I also found it impressive that the Roman's went as far as to conquer England, I had no idea how far their empire really went. I have a new respect for the Romans, that as a Greek I didn't always have. I went to the Jane Austen center, but unfortunately it was closed. Though I did see the places that were in all those Jane Austen movies, and mentioned in the book. It was rather cool. 


The Roman Baths

SPQR is roman, I actually learned about it in a Rick Riordan Novel
Me at the Roman Baths










In front of the Jane Austen Center


This was actually filmed part of Les Mis the film here


Christina and I went to the Victorian Art Gallery
 After our lovely stay at bath, we went to Stonehenge. It was fun kind of cool too see thinking of all the history behind it, it was rather impressive them moving and setting up those large rocks.

Stonehenege!


I did this in front of the security guard didn't realize till after.

Because of the Dr. Who episode 

YAY ROCKS Jump!

I was very excited by the sheep really wish I could have pet them



No comments:

Post a Comment